Wednesday, October 15

Nicknames

I just changed my profile name from my given name to my nickname. There is reason behind it, on why I changed it. But I’ll spare you guys with the details. Nicknames. I’ve got a bundle. Now let me give you an account on the list and how it originated.

Ah Wan – My family calls me this and I used to hate it. In fact I still dislike it, but I’ve kinda grown to accept it. Well, it’s what they call, resign to fate. According to my sis, my grandmother started calling me when I’m still a toddler and the rest of my family member followed suit.

小 熙 – This is what my maternal side relatives call me. Now only a few uncles and aunts still call me by this name. The rest they have changed to call by my Chinese name.

Ah Shi / Ah Shi Wan Tan Mee – My primary schoolmates called me this, as back in my hometown, we have a famous wan tan mee shop, known as Ah See Wan Tan Mee. In fact, now they have a website. See here.

Ah Noi / Noi Noi – Leek Mei gave this name when we were at standard 5/6. I can still vividly remember how excited she was on the phone, while telling me she got me a new name. Well, at that time, whenever someone asks me where something is, I’ll point it to them, answering ‘noi’. Thus, the birth of the name.

Donkey Tieo Noi Noi / 张 驴– I had this name when we started playing the ‘family’ game back in std 6. My father is Handsome Tieo Shuai Ge (Wee Chieh), my mum is … (I’ve forgotten the name) by Janice, Ruth is Dinosaur Tieo Boy Boy, … Hmm… Next time I can try creating a family tree for this.

惊 喜 / Surprise - Alright, my Chinese name rhymes with this. I never realize the alikeness, until my diploma friends started calling me this. Instead of correcting them, I let them continue calling me by this, till now.

Ok. Gotta stop here and start studying for my Control test tomorrow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Wan ????
like calling mangkuk yeh...
mangkuk sini = ah wan lai...^^
Hehe...
Jus kidding la, so i knew another new name lo, ah wan HAO...

Take care ya.

Noiz... said...

You think I'm mangkuk Khint ar? This 'wan' here is pronounced as 'one' or 万. Most probably my grandma called me 'wan' as in the 万. Hmm... Makes me wonder why she chose this out of so many things.

Anonymous said...

lolz...
U oso noe khint nick name is mangkuk o...hehe...

don put NOIZ la, not nice cus sound lik "CHAO".
keke...

Y ur WAI PO don wan jus cal u WAN WAN sound like better than MANGKUK...^^

Noiz... said...

Not 外婆... Is 婆婆. Anyway, I beg to differ. I think Noiz suits me quite well. Yin and Yang, black and white. So, it's 静 and Noi-z... Hehe...

Anonymous said...

WakAkA...

New Term:
~静 & Noi-z~
i ting u r CHAO more than 静
U win d...^^

MinnieMoose said...

HAHAHHAHA NOIII!!!

I had forgotten u were once called Ah Shi Wan Tan Mee hahahahaha.

Noiz... said...

I once got a CNY card from Gong and she addressed it to me as Ah Shi Wan Tan Mee. And if I'm not mistaken, and the year before that, she called me Corrine/Corine (I dun really remember). Well, I dun really acknowledge this name. It's given to me when I'm in std 3, by ng ee ling. Anyway, the rest is history. Hehe...